April 24, 2018
“Canada and Portugal enjoy a strong and historic bond, with nearly a half-million people of Portuguese origin calling Canada home. I look forward to meeting with Prime Minister Costa to deepen our relationship and create economic opportunities that will benefit Canadians and Portuguese people alike.”
—The Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
- This will be the first formal meeting between Prime Minister Trudeau and Prime Minister Costa.
- Canada is home to a vibrant Portuguese-Canadian community with over 480,000 Canadians of Portuguese origin.
- Canada and Portugal enjoy a strong relationship, founded on common values, deep and significant people-to-people bonds, and mutually beneficial commercial relations. Two-way merchandise trade between Canada and Portugal totalled nearly $848 million in 2017, with Canadian exports valued at $270 million.
- On September 21, 2017, the provisional application of CETA took effect. CETA provides new opportunities for Canadian and Portuguese businesses, and will enhance trade and investment in both our countries.
- Portugal was the eighth European country to ratify CETA.